Monday, March 4, 2013

I Guess That Counts as a Background

Here's another deck-derived semi-subconscious strip.


There's some decent cartooning in a couple of those panels.

I was trying a new method of shading in that second panel, but I think I'd better stick to cross-hatching. It might be possible for long practice to improve that method, but I don't think it's worth it—there's a sort of fundamental conflict between the super-smooth surface of the bristol board and the crayon's preference for tooth and texture.

3 comments:

winter said...

There's something expedient about the storytelling here that I like.

Isaac said...

With a lot of these strips, I am leaving a lot of questions unanswered. That's part of the nature of the process, for sure. (My goal with each strip is to make the two deck panels make sense together, or seem to belong together. That sometimes means I don't have a complete "story" in the four panels...)

But I guess maybe you're saying the opposite about this strip, that it answers a lot of questions quickly?

winter said...

Yes, it answers a lot of questions quickly without over-complications.