Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Doodle Penance: "compound words classroom display"

Okay, this is actually last week's "Doodle Penance." I got behind during my recuperation,and I'm in a hurry now, so I am sort of dashing off the doodles. Still, I feel penitential.

So: someone was directed to the site during a search for "compound words classroom display." I've designed a three-part display to demonstrate the properties of compound words: how they are made, and how their meaning works.



TAR + TAN =


TARTAN




SUB + STANDARD =


SUBSTANDARD




BAND + ANNA =


BANDANNA



Mike's take on this is a little different. He says,

Taking "classroom" and "display" as a PAIR of compound words, where "display" should be analyzed as "Dis play," I realized that the likeliest choice of a schoolroom production of a "Dis play," or drama set in Hades, would be Jean-Paul Sartre's Huis Clos (No Exit). So here's my image of an awkward in-class performance of said play in a high-school philosophy classroom, featuring a somewhat unlikely troupe of actors.



Click to enlarge it, folks. Them's the doodles.

No comments: