Monday, July 20, 2009

Doodle Penance: "isaac comics i don't even know you"

Click here for today's installment of one of my favorite current strips, Richard Thompson's Cul de Sac. Then compare it with today's (belated) installment of Doodle Penance, on the search term "isaac comics i don't even know you" (below).

Too bad Isaac himself couldn't join in the Doodle Penance this time around, but he is justifiably busy with other things at the moment. In the meantime, I'll try to make up for his absence--and my belated Doodle Penance entry--with another solo post or two later this week.

3 comments:

Ben Towle said...

Nice job on the Richard Thompson homage, Mike. I actually found that particular CUL DE SAC pretty bizarre--but bizarre in a good way. "CUL D'ISAAC" is a great touch...

Mike said...

I am still fairly a novice at the whole interaction-with-and-observation-of-children thing, despite my many fruitful friends, but the impression I get is that when Cul de Sac seems bizarre to my grown-up self, it's actually doing a pretty good job of conveying childlike outlooks and behaviors. (Indeed, the bizarreness seems like a proof of its authenticity with respect to kids, whereas a strip like Red and Rover never convinces me that it's remotely like a real kid's experience.) Today's Cul de Sac strip seemed to fit that bizarre but convincing mold.

Isaac said...

... and the Doodle Penance imitation does fit the bizarre but convincing mode of humor that Mike and I often practice when left to our own conversational devices.

For the record, however, I do not typically hee hee.