Sunday, March 8, 2009

Doodle Penance: "rorschach mask pattern sewing"

Well, it seems like everyone and his dog is talking about Watchmen this week, and apparently our Google search logs aren't inoculated against Watchmania either. This week's "Doodle Penance" comes from some crafty type who was pointed here in a search for "rorschach mask pattern sewing."

As is often the case, I was initially befuddled by this search. Fortunately, I have read and taught the graphic novel co-created by Dave Gibbons quite a few times now, and I'm pretty familiar with its visual motifs.

Casting my mind's eye back over the details of Watchmen, I remembered a panel that seemed to be the one this googler was looking for. Oddly, I haven't been able to find it online or in a quick cursory glance through the book. So, since this is doodle penance anyway, I went ahead and drew it from memory. (You can click to enlarge.)



Mike's off on a trip, so he won't be able to post stories of sewing his own Rorschach mask when he was in junior high, but he has already alluded to it. (And that's probably what our googler originally saw.)

No comments: